The Vaccination Interval for the Third Coronavirus Vaccination is Shortened to Three Months for Persons over the Age of 60 and Persons Over the age of 18 who Belong to a Medical Risk Group
The Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare THL recommends that the vaccination interval for third coronavirus vaccinations is shortened. The recommendation is that persons over the age of 60 and persons over the age of 18 who belong to medical risk groups may receive their third vaccine dose when 3–4 months have passed since their second dose. This target group is given vaccinations with the new vaccination interval starting on Tuesday 21st of December 2021.
Soite’s decision is that persons over the age of 60 and persons over the age of 18 who belong to medical risk groups (in Finnish) may receive their third vaccine dose when at least three months have passed since their second dose. The above-mentioned groups are given vaccines with the shortened vaccination interval starting on Tuesday 21st of December.
Shortening the vaccination interval may lead to congestion at the vaccination sites, especially before noon. We recommend that the vaccination days are made use of in their entirety in order to avoid congestion.
Third vaccine doses are given at Soite’s vaccination sites
All persons over 60 years of age and all persons over the age of 18 who belong to risk groups 1 and 2 may visit one of Soite’s vaccination sites for a third coronavirus vaccination if at least three months have passed since they received their second dose.
One may come to a vaccination after having booked an appointment or by coming to a walk-in vaccination day without booking an appointment.
- On vaccination days without appointment booking, you can come to get your coronavirus vaccination when it suits you best. More information and the schedule for the walk-in days can be found on Soite’s coronavirus website: https://korona.soite.fi/en/the-coronavirus-vaccines/
- It is still possible to book an appointment online on https://soite.terveytesi.fi or by phone via the secretary at Soite’s vaccination central, phone 040 804 2821 (Monday-Friday 12 noon to 3 pm). An appointment may also be booked by phone via one’s own health centre. The appointments for a third vaccination are opened in the online booking system this week.
The vaccination information is checked at the vaccination site and if less than three months have passed since the second vaccination, a third vaccine dose cannot yet be given.
Medical risk groups
Group 1: 12–60-year-old persons with an illness or condition that poses an extremely great risk of severe coronavirus disease.
- An organ transplant or stem cell transplant
- Cancer under active treatment
- A severe disturbance of the body's defence system
- A serious chronic renal illness
- A serious chronic pulmonary illness
- Type 2 diabetes involving drug therapy
- Down’s syndrome
Group 2: 12–60-year-old persons with an illness or condition that poses a risk of severe coronavirus disease
- Asthma requiring continuous medication
- A difficult cardiac disease, including insufficiency (but not mere hypertension)
- A neurological illness or condition affecting respiration
- Pharmaceutical treatment for autoimmune disease that weakens immune defences
- Serious chronic liver disease
- Type 1 diabetes or adrenal insufficiency
- Sleep apnoea
- Morbid obesity (body mass index more than 40)
A third vaccine is primarily given using the same vaccine as at the second vaccination, unless there is a medical impediment for this. More information about risk groups can be found in THL’s bulletin.